[Tigers] Hurst vs Original Shifter : Advice Needed

To: s_ralsten@yahoo.com
Subject: [Tigers] Hurst vs Original Shifter : Advice Needed
From: mcdangerous@verizon.net
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:56:41 -0500 (CDT)
Hi there.  I would appreciate your advice.  The installation of my new engine
is being held up by a problem I had with my custom Hurst shifter.  I may have
mentioned this before, but one of the shift arms (reverse) was angled
incorrectly and the tailshaft pedestal interfered with it.  Ugh.  So I had to
send it back to the guy who built it for me to be redone.  He tested it on a
Galaxie tailshaft, which is a bit different than the Tiger's.   Anyway, it's
taking more time than I expected and am wondering whether anyone feels
strongly, one way or the other, if a low miles original shifter is good
enough, or whether it's worth the wait for the Hurst shifter.  I expect to
have the Hurst shifter back maybe late next week if all goes well.  The car is
now up on stands with the crossmember removed.  All I have to do at this point
is disconnect the drive shaft, the speedometer cable, the headers, and drop
the engine -- and lift the new one in place.  Easy-peasy.  Getting the
crossmember lined back up looks like it will be hellishly hard.  I know there
must be some trick to it!!!  Thanks.