[Tigers] What's with the black dash?

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] What's with the black dash?
From: "rande" <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 19:13:02 -0400
I'll trust Norms numbers for the end of black dash cars.

The reason for them is that early on, Rootes wanted to offer two models of the
Tiger, the same as Alpine. The sports tourer specs included rubber flooring,
black instrument panel, black steering wheel, and provisions for a soft top.
Hard top optional.

If you went for the GT, you got wood wheel, wood instrument panel, full
carpeting,
dome light switches in the door hinges, altered and upholstered area behind
the front seats, and no soft top, but standard hard top.

As wiser minds prevailed(let's use Norm's cut off point) Rootes decided to make
just one model,  let's call it a sports tourer with full carpet, wood instrument
panel and steering wheel
,keep the soft top, omit the special GT cockpit, and keep the hard top as an
option.

I've seen two Tiger GT's, one photographed with its hard top, and one displayed
at the '95 Grants Pass missing the hard top but with the unique upholstered
rear cockpit. I think Brett Simpson's car ( I think it's Pressed Steel body
#1) that was at Big Sky is a sports tourer. I hope someone from the Northwest
will correct me on Brett's car.