Re: [Tigers] Pusher Electric Fan Help

To: "'Bill Waite'" <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pusher Electric Fan Help
From: "Jerry & Maureen \(Mo\)" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:32:15 -0500
When putting in an electric fan, the most important thing to consider is the
CFM rating.  Get the highest CFM rated fan you can get. When I did mine
years ago, I used a Haden "high power" 16" fan with a thermostat controller.
I could never tell when it came on (very quiet).  So, being the curious
type, I hooked up a small LED light to see when it came on and off.  What's
interesting is that, when I'm driving down the road, the fan turns from the
air stream and produces just enough current to light the LED faintly because
it turns into a generator. Be SURE to use a relay. I don't think the Tiger
switches should be called upon to handle the current the fans will draw.  It
could get smoky.  Use fans in the 2000CFM to 3000CFM or more if you can get
them in.  I opted to remove the "crank hole support" to get mine in and put
the fan in before the radiator.

Some fans are very loud; so, check the sound level before you install.  My
first fan was a 14" and was very loud (and totally useless).  The fan I'm
using now is so quiet I can't hear it running unless the engine is off. I'm
sorry I can't remember the part number.

Jerry Christopherson
9473187

PS This may sound very stupid, but make sure you wire the fan so it will run
in the proper direction. I've seen them wired wrong.