[Tigers] TIGER ID PART 02

To: Tiger Talk List Tiger <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] TIGER ID PART 02
From: michael king <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:45:27 +1000
Hello everyone,

The other day i posed a question for peoples opinions in regards to the
switching of VIN numbers between two Tigers. I had my disclaimer at the
start acknowledging that as far as i know no country would normally allow
this and it is illegal.

There was some good points made in the discussion and i recieved many
private emails on the subject.. so to bring the debate a little further
forward:

1. Dont worry everyone, I'm not thinking of doing this and don't happen to
have a spare Tiger shell sitting around.
2. There have been some good points re: what the context of the car is and
then the fact that both ARE Tigers.
3. My real concern in a scenario like this lies with the missing VIN.

The scenario was 1 basket case with ID and one car without ID but a true
Tiger.
1. Now in theory as long as the cars have no historical value (ex-works etc)
the value of this car is not being increased/decreased.
2. It is still a real Tiger, but the problem remains.. what was its ID and
more importantly where is it now, is it in use.. or will it be used.

Now if one can assertain the original ID of the "john doe" car then you
could either list with the regisrty that the numbers had been changed and 1
VIN could be listed as no longer valid. Seems like a good outcome, Car gets
an ID but its not correct.

If the ID can be sourced perhaps the TAC guys can inspect and the car can be
re-issued with its original VIN.. only issue here might be, will local
authorities accept this?

The catch here is.. where is the original ID? If its still in use you have 2
cars with the same VIN (as what happened per my reference in the original
post: http://www.classictiger.com/mudge/tac/alert.htm )

This is bad.. and the question is.. is the car with the wrong ID a real
Tiger or not.. If the ID is not in use.. but still exists then the potential
for it to be "reborn" exists.

Lastly, i guess is the correspondence i have recieved privately from many
guys (which i guess shows this is a touchy subject) this is both a
moral/ethical issues as well as basic VIN/registration issue...   I guess if
one was suspecting this was about to happen do they:

A. Discuss it with the person and talk them throgh the pros and cons?
B. Just ignore the issue and know that everytime they see that car that its
not the true identity.
C. Let sleeping dogs lie.. not my cars not my problem?
D. What happens if i ever saw a car with what i know was one of the VINs in
question, do i inform that owner?

 --
Regards

Michael King