[Tigers] Tow Dolly

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Tow Dolly
From: mike schreiner <mikeflbmer@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:41:30 -0700 (PDT)
I did have a problem once using a tow dolly....I towed my wire wheel Alpine to
a meet in Charleston from Florida years ago.  I was too lazy to take the
driveshaft out so I towed the car backwards with the steering wheel tied
straight.  That is a big mistake with a wire wheel car. I was singing along at
75mph....at night....finally get to the hotel in charleston....rolled the
window down in my tow vehicle as i pulled into the hotel parking lot and heard
all kinds of crunching noised from the Alpine.....Upon inspection I realized
one of the front wheels was coming loose and would have fallen off if I had
gone another mile or two. The bearing (what was left of it ) was now heat
welded to the spindle. The knock offs are treaded differently on each side of
the car...the design keeps them tight with nmomentum when you drive.....and has
the opposite effect if towed backwards....The car could not be fixed until I
returned home (turned it around to tow home)...so
 it sat there broken during the whole united.  mIKE