Re: [Tigers] Barely running - suddenly - input pls?

To: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Barely running - suddenly - input pls?
From: "Steven L. Finberg" <w1gsl@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 01:24:55 -0400
>     -There
were many black flakes in old pump. I suppose this is tank
coating. I presume
the inline fuel filter trapped any of this prior to
reaching the carb. Took
the (paper type) filter apart and there was a bit of
the stuff.

>      I need
>the car for an event tomorrow. What am I dealing with here??

The death throws of your gas tanks...  The black flakes will
eventually clog the exit point of the tanks.. where the
fuel line leaves the pipe between the left and right tank.

Blowing out the line will only clear it for a short time..
The exit point is the low spot and the flakes flow right
back to it..  Once it got bad,  blowing out the line would
last less than 5 miles...

 First noticed this in my Alpines 20 years ago..
The only fix that held up was recoating the tank interor.
It was really hard to get all the old paint out.. It was well attached
and was sort of time release flaking...:-)

Good luck

Steve F

Steve Finberg                        W1GSL                       w1gsl@mit.edu
PO Box 397082 MIT Br        Cambridge MA  02139-7082              617 258 3754