[Tigers] A Tiger Adventure

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] A Tiger Adventure
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:15:31 -0400
Well, we had a little Tiger adventure last night. Coming home through a
rural section of the Chagrin River valley after dark the throttle
started to hang up momentarily between shifts. I pulled over and reached
down to see if there was something obstructing the gas pedal, gave it a
small yank and pop, there goes the throttle cable! Oh joy.

Armed with a small flashlight I could see that both cable ends were
attached, so the cable wire must have broken inside the sheathing. Not
having a spare in the boot, I considered the agony of calling AAA, then
decided to nurse her home using an old motorcycle trick I learned from
riding Nortons and BSAs, which seemed to break cable ends with
regularity.

I pulled off the air cleaner, started the car, then opened the carb
butterfly until she was singing at about 3000 RPM. I then screwed the
idle adjustment in until the engine maintained that RPM, close the
bonnet, eased it into gear and slowly drove away. I could maintain 30 or
so on flat ground, although climbing out of the valley required a
judicious amount of up-shifting. Got her home, changed out the cable and
in bed by midnight.

Never a dull moment with a Tiger.

Have a great weekend,

Bugz