[Tigers] "My Father's" Oldsmobile Engine

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] "My Father's" Oldsmobile Engine
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 14:36:37 -0700
Tigers,

I am very familiar with the "Olds V-8", however this is the red 1949
Oldsmobile 88 convertible my father owned, and let me drive.  It had the
"Rocket V-8 engine".   This was from the higher compression version of
the "98 series and the "light weight (4,000 Lbs) 303 CID for $2300, with
the optional high compression version. It sported a red
body/upholstery.  It was proclaimed the NASCAR Crown and Mexican Road
Race class wins.

With  four wheel coil springs, the car leaped up and forward under
acceleration.

Well, when I was driving it, I had a "Stop Light Grand Prix".  Even with
the 4 spd Hydramatic, I thought it was slow off the line.  Soooo I
revved up the engine in neutral, and when the stop light turned green I
dumped it into "Low".  I saw the competition's disappearing tail lights,
and heard a large "thump".

Well, I had broken both sets of u-joints, and the drive shaft was lying
in the road.  Had it towed to the Olds dealer, and he replaced all "U"
joints and drive shaft.  I told my father that a part failed (and not why).

That's when I learned to rev the engine in low with the brakes on, then
let it go.  And it surely went.  I learned 2 lessons. Don't dump the
engine into gear. Don't get caught telling your father a lie.  He didn't
catch me, but I felt really bad about it.

(See the story at "My Life With Cars".  Have your sound on for the great
music,  The other pages have interesting stories as well.

/http://tigersunited.com/articles/sl-mc/stevelaifman2.asp
/