[Tigers] Conversion to Alternator

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Conversion to Alternator
From: "James Lindner" <jliny5@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:39:03 -0400
Good Afternoon

Let me start by apologizing if this is a duplicate message. I did not receive
confirmation that my previous email had been sent so I am resending. Thanks.

After a 125 mile drive on Satuday I noticed my battery was a bit weak and I
had trouble starting the car when I went to pull it into the garage sat night.
I got it started and put to bed for the night and then checked the battery
with a meter the next day. The meter reading barely reached 12v. At 1200 rpm
the reading was not any better. When I revved the engine a few times the
ammeter barely moved to positive. Obviously the battery (a relatively new
Optima) was not getting a decent charge.
My Mk1 has a rebuilt generator that is 7 years old.

At this point I am considering converting to an alternator. I understand I
will get a better charge but there are also alignment issues. I was seeking
input from the list on the pros and cons of converting to an alternator or
just sticking with another rebuilt generator. Also, if I do convert to an
alternator what are the options for a replacement.

Thanks,

Jim Lindner
B9470033