[Tigers] Worlds Fastest Sunbeam - The Rest of the Story, Day 2,

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Worlds Fastest Sunbeam - The Rest of the Story, Day 2,
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 07:02:11 -0700
  Tuesday

Tuesday was WOS tech inspection and pit set up day for the normal people
who do not arrive a day early. As is or normal routine, we have
breakfast before heading out to the salt. That generally means that we
hit the Red Garter around 6:15 am or so for their 2.99 breakfast. Hey,
gotta save where we can and it is pretty much ok. A lot of teams have
breakfast there.  And of course, we always see old friends and were
pleasantly surprised when one of our favorites, Jon and Keilani Amo
walked by with..surprise, a new baby! Tyler. Wow, what a nice young man.
Jon and Keilani had a stream liner they are now running for records.
Nice vehicle! Off to the salt to get ready for inspection. Grab the log
book again and remove the car cover, and set up the awning. Have help
this morning Funbeam Chuck (Chuck Colley) from Florida, just happened to
drop in to assist and it was welcome indeed.  We pushed the car down to
inspection and after a fair wait, we into the inspection station. Seems
like a new crowd of inspectors each time I go. For our car, it take two
inspectors and both must sign off. Their was noting at issue with the
car as I am kind of anal about little things that might get me killed,
lol... The push bar worked to perfection. BUT.... every time the car had
been moved around since 2006, it had been on the end of the tow bar. Me,
in the ruck doing the towing. Now, I was in the car steering. Holy
Smokes! It makes so much noise with rattle, bangs, thumps chirps that I
had to stop twice to see if it was falling apart, lol. It has absolutely
no sound proofing or anti rattle installed. Never heard any of that
before, lol. Back in the pit, we decide to upload the tune to the
tweecer in all four positions.
Ugh oh! Having problems to get the laptop to actually write to the
tweecer. It shows the progress bar but nothing happened. We pulled
connectors, filled and finally go it going. Have had issues like this
before and it is beginning to aggravate me, lol. Started data logging
and that started and data logged ok. Then for the rest of the set up day
we just schmoozed with people who came by. I honestly believe that the
Sunbeam is the most photographed car on the salt, no kidding. We had
photogs from Germany taking picture, actually two different ones. One
had a pretty assistant, lol.  Decided to put it all away in prep for the
next days Driver's meeting and racing on Wednesday.

mayf