[Tigers] Plastic Lenses

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Tiger News Group List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Plastic Lenses
From: "Ronak, T.P. (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@akzonobel.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:48:36 +0200
Listers,
Just thought I would share a tip on plastic. The oxidization is due to
the plastics absorption of UV ...  Polishing will result in a repeat of
the hazing in short order. One longer term solution is to clear coat the
lens with catalyzed auto motive clear after sanding the lens with 600
grit wet sandpaper or green Scotchbrite with a water and Clorox solution
to provide a mechanical bond. I have cleared the taillights and
headlights on several vehicles and the latest long term one is my sons
91 Mustang which had the taillamps cleared and it is now 8 years later
with no failure. The only drawback is that some of the detail of the
print and other markings on the plastic start to become less defined.

Clearcoat acts like sunscreen and prevent the UV rays from penetrating
the plastic lens. Works on most plastics especially the Polycarbonite
used in lenses. I used Sikkens Clearcoat ... obviously.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Senior Services Consultant
AkzoNobel Coatings
23961 Via El Rocio
Mission Viejo,  CA  92691
Ph: (949) 289-3357
Fx: (425) 955-6268
EM: timothy.ronak@akzonobel.com
Personal EM: timronak@cox.net

Information contained in this email is confidential. If you received
this email in error please delete this message and inform the sender.