Re: [Tigers] Tiger Brake Calipers

To: "'Beamclub'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Brake Calipers
From: "Joe Brown" <jbbrown1980@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:10:13 -0500
Thanks for all of the replies to my question about getting the stuck pistons
out.  On each caliper I was able to get one piston out with compressed air
and I couldn't think how to get the other ones out.  I finally covered the
bore where I had removed one piston with a round piece of "fun foam" (a
dense foam rubber).  I then clamped this down with a large washer, a steel
bar and a c-clamp.  This sealed the bore good enough to hold air.  In both
calipers the stuck piston still didn't want to move.  I finally used another
c-clamp and flat piece of metal to push the stuck piston further into the
bore.  This broke the seal between the piston and the dried up rubber seal.
After pushing the pistons in I applied the compressed air again and BAM!
Problem solved.

I can see why many people warned not to have your fingers in the way when
blowing the piston out.  You could probably lose a finger tip that way.

Thanks,

Joe

  _____