Re: [Tigers] the last Mk II's going to Wally

To: djoh797014@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] the last Mk II's going to Wally
From: "rande" <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:14:09 -0400
Hi,
Add to Erich's comments about the early Mark II's, and mine to Tom Parker about
info listed in the BON, I think it's highly unlikely that one Chrysler sales
office/ zone would make a blanket order for 62 or 32 of the very last Mark II's,
and I post this with full deference to Wally. I'd love to hear from Scooter
Patrick, one of the P.A.M dealer principals in Manhattan Beach, CA who sold
Mark II's, and whose dealer plate frame was featured in the Road&Track road
test how much demand there was at that time for Mark II's as production neared
the end.

There's also the issue of the supposedly last seven Mark II's left on the
Southampton
docks that Alan Hartwell snapped up and sold, one going directly to a Canadian
dealer unchanged, and the six remaining being converted by Hartwell to RHD,
fitted with Minilite's, and sold in England. There's also at least one known
car (#626LRXFE) built as a Alpine V8 Mark II that went to Germany.

There is the issue of a comparably equipped '67 Mustang convertible  for around
$3,200 ( the Mark II was listed at about $3,800) and a comparably fitted base
Corvette convertible(with 327/300hp, four speed, hard top, AMFM, for around
$4,200 list and around $4,000 transaction price.

I met Wally several times, and I don't remember a single instance when he seemed
like a braggard, but unless Wally was the sole source to order Tigers for the
States(and knowing that Chrysler could have been downsizing distribution at
that time), a one time order of even 32 cars that sold in drabs is a tall one,
and we're quite sure that the distribution of Tiger Mark II's was scattered
throughout the States and Canada, with a handful going to Europe.