Re: [Tigers] Brake Fluid?

To: ora_archy@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake Fluid?
From: Terry Packer <packertl3@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 20:41:19 -0700 (PDT)
Brian

Your question about brake fluid caused me to re-look at some brake fluid specs
and I need to correct my previous comment regarding Dot5's boiling point. It
actually has a higher boiling point than most glycol based fluids which should
be good for high performance apps. However, it is more compressible and more
prone to aeration under vibration than glycols, both negatives for many racing
applications or use in motorcycles where vibration may be more severe. I also
read that it's aversion to water RESULTS in water puddling and resultant
corrosion (an effect I have never observed in my car). So if you live in a damp
environment and preventing corrosion is a major concern, frequently replacing a
glycol fluid may be the best choice.

So knowing your car's condition, climate and how you intend to use it are all
important factors in your choice of fluid. That's why I've been totally
satisfied with dot 5 for a very long time, but other listers will doubtless be
equally satisfied with the other grades and brands they run.

Terry