Re: [Tigers] Fairmont fan and Safety triangles

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fairmont fan and Safety triangles
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:29:59 -0800
Jim,
  There is likely a whole host of fans that might be applicable to the
Tiger.  I think two issues come up and thus the inclination to the Maverick
or Volvo fans. To my knowledge they are:

1. The Volvo fan has an oversize hole to fit (loosely) over the Tigers
reverse hub water pump. Some have created an insert (like used on a circular
saw blade) to take up the loose fit.  In my case I just twisted the pulley
and the fan in opposite directions while someone tightened the bolts.  This
causes the fan to "center" on the bolt holes rather than the hub. This fan
also is very close in diameter * to fitting the Tiger rack clearance needs.

2. The Maverick fan needs to have the center hole enlarged to fit a stock
type Tiger fan hub. Some use a different water pump and I assume the fan
fits without issue. Like the Volvo fan it is also very close in diameter *
to the Tiger rack clearance needs.

3. There is an aftermarket Derale (spelling?) that many have given a good
report.

I used the asterisk on fan diameters because some have used these fans and
not had rack clearance issues. Others have used these fans and had to
replace their motor mount to correct the sagging of the engine.  Still
others have remedied the situation with washers under the motor mount. I
have heard accounts of some trimming the blades.  Each situation seems to be
different. But, both these fans get you in the "ballpark" regarding
diameter.

An important FYI.  In 10 years of frequent "Pick A Parting" the Volvo fan, I
have found maybe twelve on 122's, 142/144's and even a 164.  But, it is not
just any Volvo fan. More often than not the Volvo had a clutch hub (not
usable on the Tiger) which is an entirely different fan.

The Maverick fan is also quite rare.  It was used on early Mavericks with
A/C.  In 10 years of frequent "Pick A Parting" I have found one! At one time
it was available from the dealer, but I'm not sure it still is.

As I stated earlier, there are likely many fans that are applicable. The
problem is it takes experimenting and modification.  It is often easier to
go with what others have found works. The Fairmont fan would be considered
R&D.

Tom Witt