Re: [Tigers] Rear Mazda RX7 disk brakes.

To: "wsamouce@kc.rr.com" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rear Mazda RX7 disk brakes.
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 21:26:14 -0600
Hi Duke,
On my rear disc brake setup, I split the line at the battery shelf, then ran
individual flex lines to the calipers.  Make sure that your caliper mounts put
your calipers in a place where the brake lines won't hit the chassis when the
suspension moves - this is what plagued me at SUNI V.

If the brake caliper mounts have a different thickness than the old drum
backplates (or if your caliper mounts attach to the rear of the axle flange)
then you'll need to make an appropriate spacer to make up the difference or
else it will mess with the bearing endplay. I made spacers from 1/4" aluminum
plate, but I don't recall if I had to mill down that 1/4" to a smaller
thickness.

You need to run two emergency brake cables. I bought a Lokar rear-brake cable
kit actually meant for drum brake installations to fit my Ford rear brakes,
and I was able to run both cables up through the stock hole. The Lokar
adjusters had to be shortened and the brake handle sits on 5/8" or 3/4"
spacers (inboard from stock) so that the lever gets a straight shot at the
Lokar cable Y-joiner.

Hope this helps. I took some pictures when I did it but some of them are
really poor so I'm not sure they'd be much help.

Cheers,
Theo