Re: [Tigers] Hardtop

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Hardtop
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 15:24:28 -0500
I purchased my Tiger new in October,1966 after wanting one since they
first appeared.  To my knowledge, Tigers were never sold with a hardtop
standard.  Keep in mind that the marketing idea behind the Tiger was a
lot of performance for the money, hence the desire to keep the price
low.  Initially, IIRC, the price was $3599 ("fastest sports car under
$3600").  The Tigers, after the first few (~200?) had the GT interior
(which may be the source of the confusion) but not the hardtop which was
fitted to the Alpine GT.  As has already been noted, you could order a
hardtop from the factory as an option, in which case it was painted the
body color.  If you bought it from a dealer, it was black.  If you
bought it from a guy who thought it was for a Triumph in 1973, as I did,
it was painted metallic purple.  (It was missing the driver's side rear
window trim which is still the case, but it only cost $75).  It has
since been repainted.

Happy New Year to all.

Tod
B382002384LRXFE