[Tigers] Factory 289 in Mk1...?

To: Beamclub TIGER <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Factory 289 in Mk1...?
From: Allan Ballard <allanballard@att.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:23:52 -0500
"Sunbeam Tiger Limited Edition Extra," a book compiled by RM Clarke
(Brooklands Books, Surrey)...  reprints a July 2001 article from
Classics -- "Sunbeam Tiger restoration Project."

On page 116, the reprint states:  "Somewhere along the line, Tiger owners who
have the earlier cars with the 4.2 liter engines
develop a compulsion to fit the larger 4.7 liter unit, as used on the later
MK1 and MKII models..."

Is factory installation of a 289 in MK1 Tigers a fact or did Classics err?

I've seen speculation on occasion but this is the first time I've noticed the
claim in a publication.

Allan Ballard
Mk1-a Tiger