Re: [Tigers] Police Tigers

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Police Tigers
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:55:35 -0500
Many thanks to those who responded to my request about the police
Tigers.  I have a copy of the Taylor book and was able to download the
article from Cat's Whiskers by Peter Phelps.  There are also some pics
on Norm's web site. I got into this because I was looking at the STOC
site (rather than working on my Tiger in my wicked cold Maine garage)
and happened onto a story about the 40th anniversary meet held by STOC
in 2004.  In the piece was a list of all the Tigers that had attended
(all 108!) by serial number.  Out of curiosity, I looked to see if there
were any cars near mine.  My MkIA is serial number B382002384 and I
found two cars listed as having attended the 40th Party, ...2380 and
...2381 which were identified as "Police".  Interesting, I thought, and
then remembered something else.  In 2001/02 when I had my car stripped
and repainted, the painter told me that he noticed there were some odd
stripes on the sides of my car under the factory paint.  I was not aware
of their presence even though I had had the car since new, and had no
idea why they would have been there.  Could it have been that my car was
initially intended for some kind of police work that brought with it
some special paint?  I know this is a long shot but the paint has always
puzzled me.  The original color of my Tiger is 86, Forest Green, but,
according to what I have found in the articles and pictures, all four of
the MkIA police cars were painted Arctic White with no enhancements.
They were also Right Hand Drive whereas mine, of course, is LHD.
Nevertheless, the mystery abides.  Any thoughts and/or insight would be
appreciated.

Cheers,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE