[Tigers] Tiger Police Cars

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Police Cars
From: marden@mistral.co.uk
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:59:37 +0000
am very proud to be the owner of Sunbeam Tiger Mk2 NYL 558E which is
one of the original 6 London Police Mk2 Tigers. I have owned and used
the car extensively for the past 14 years. I have driven approx 30,000
miles in the car and that includes 5 trips down to Le Mans and other
continental trips. 558E was treated to a full restoration in 2006/7
(changing the colour back from red to its original polar white) and
won the STOC restoration of the year award. It also made the front
cover of Cats Whiskers magazine issue 77. NYL 558E has another
unusual claim to fame as it was featured in the first ever issue of
Classic Car magazine way back in October 1973 in a road test and
comparison with the then new MGB GT V8. 558E was only 6 years old
then and already considered a classic. Sometime after leaving the
police in 1969 it had been painted red and interestingly had miss
matched number plates put on it. NYL 558E on the rear (correct) but
NYL 588E on the front (wrong).  All 6 Mk2 Police cars still exist in
the hands of: Peter Phelps (USA) restored, Derek Cooper (being
restored), Tom Carr (original and owned since 1970), Paul Grimsdick
(has a Mk1 Police car as well), Roy Johnson (?) and myself.
Message sent via Kcom WebMail - http://webmail.mistral.net/