Re: [Tigers] Factory 289 in Mk1...?

To: <spook01@comcast.net>, "'Steve Laifman'" <slaifman@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Factory 289 in Mk1...?
From: "jim" <jim@island.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:53:39 -0800
I think Bob's comment was to do with the Lemans coupes specifically... NOT
the production cars...
I was just reading about Shelby's LeMan's efforts in 1963/4 and it appears
that he in fact was using the 289 long before he built the 260's for Rootes
LeMans cars...in fact he had 289's in his cars from early '63 . The article
also states that Ford would not provide engines for the 2 '63 Shelby Lemans
cars so they prepared their own 'with the help of A.C. cars and Ed Hugus'
  I'm sure a horse-trader like Shelby could have scrounged up a few 289
blocks for the Rootes effort in '64... if it wouldn't have made his Cobra's
look bad... ;)