Re: [Tigers] Factory competition 260s

To: LIST TIGER <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Factory competition 260s
From: John Crawley <alittlemoreink@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:17:44 +0000
Hi All:
Just to add to the TIGER lore I pass along this as it happened to me but other
than that I have no knowledge if it is true or not:

About 15 years ago I was in the Museum of America in Polson, Montana and I met
an old English gentleman. We got talking about cars and I told him that I had
a Sunbeam TIGER. He said that he had worked for Lister back when TIGERs were
in production. He claimed to have personally built many of the engines that
Roots used in competition. I asked him about the LeMans TIGERs and he told me
that they had tested the 260 on the bench extensively by running a number of
them to destruction. I asked what he met by that and he said: You know . .
. a brick on the loud peddle type of thing until they break. And then you tear
them down and see what gave and the fix it and try it again. I then said that
I thought that Shelby had built the 260s for the LeMans cars. He replied:
Shelby couldnt build s**t for an engine. I built them  Personally! But
they failed. I said. Go ask Shelby about that! was his retort and he broke
off the visit and walked away in a bit of a huff. I wish now that I had gotten
his name and perhaps a picture.

Jc