Re: [Tigers] Mercum 80K Tiger

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Mercum 80K Tiger
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 21:20:20 -0800
>>>not many body men would tackle a job like this.<<<

I know, only idiots like myself would do it! Honestly this Tiger was as bad
as, if not slightly worse than mine. While my hours were "hobby" hours
(un-billable) I don't think I spent more than $250 in materials to replace
the lower outer sills (50% of the inner on the passenger side) and the sheet
metal aft of the front wheels, and fore of the rear wheel. There were other
small repairs (panhard rod hole, etc., etc.).

 In the end all bad metal was replaced and the floorpan (top and bottom) was
stripped and POR-15ed. The front end is completely rebuilt, the rear end
completely rebuilt (brakes too).  I think I have about $800 in everything so
far. My $5,100 Tiger won't even top out at $,8000 when done.  Will it be
like the Mercum car? No way.  But it probably will be 75% of that car for
one tenth the price.

Not faulting the guy who bought it, only encouraging others that patience,
and hard work might still allow them a Tiger that recent numbers seem to put
out of reach.

Tom Witt