[Tigers] bellhousing and throwout bearing options

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] bellhousing and throwout bearing options
From: Bob Dixon <bobdixon@frii.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:08:11 -0700
Howdy gang.

I'm ready to bolt my new 335HP 6-bolt 289 to my narrow bolt pattern
toploader.  I have a few options.

1. I have a difficult to find 6 bolt to narrow toploader aluminum
bellhousing but it has a crack around one of the bolt holes on the
flange that attach to the engine.  I'm not real sure these things can be
welded or not.  Any insights?

2. I have an old-school Ansen scattershield that looks really cool and
should fit in the tunnel without modification but weighs about a
thousand pounds.  Problem with this is I would have to use something
like a McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing.  Is this worth the cost?

3. I have heard of people having the narrow bolt pattern machined into
one of the more plentiful wide pattern bellhousings. I was wondering how
this has worked out for others.

Other options I haven't thought about?

Thanks,
Bob