[Tigers] Toploader trans fluid

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Toploader trans fluid
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:28:36 +0000 (UTC)
I think I am late to class on this one.B B

I have come to understand that we should use only aB GL-4 rated fluid in the
old toploaders although GL-5 is fine/preferred for rear ends.

Supposedly the GL-5 rated ones have a higher sulfer additive content that is
bad for brass syncros and other yellow metal type components.

B B

While today's sulfer additive is buffered so as to not corrode brass
components, that does not prevent it from strippingB metal off the syncros as
they operate since it is harder than the yellow metals.

B B

Do I have that right?

If so, what shouldB brands andB SAE rating specification(s) are people using
these days in their toploaders?.

Thanks,B  GeneB