Re: [Tigers] 1/2 inch or 12mm wheel studs

To: "genepadgett@comcast.net" <genepadgett@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 1/2 inch or 12mm wheel studs
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:24:17 -0500
I've used ARP/Mark Williams and Moroso threaded studs, and Moroso press-in
studs. Either one (threaded or press-in) will work fine as long as you install
them correctly; the threaded studs typically require a washer under the
shoulder and the hub so that the fillet on the underside of the head can clear
the threads. ARP makes specific note of this in their installation
instructions.

12mm studs are only 1mm larger diameter than 7/16 studs, so they will probably
even work with wheels originally designed for 7/16 studs and taper nuts, but
you run the risk of having someone, that doesn't realize you have metric
studs, inadvertently thread on the improper lugnuts.

The recommended installation torque for the threaded studs I used was
something like 90 ft-lb, which is required to make sure that the stud doesn't
inadvertently thread itself into the hub as you're driving. I had Doug
Jennings' (Tiger Auto, in Dayton OH) machinist drill and thread a new set of
hubs with 1/2-20 threads. Not cheap, but bombproof.

The most fiddly bit with press-in studs is the pressing in part. You can use a
large-body 1/2" nut and a washer stack to pull the stud into the hub;
alternatively you can use a large bench vise or a hydraulic press, but with
either of those you have to ensure that it goes in straight.

Cheers,
Theo