Re: [Tigers] Fuel pump question

To: "Curt Hoffman" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fuel pump question
From: "Greg Christensen" <bikengreg@hughes.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 21:24:01 -0500
Curt,

    Amsoil sells a 10W40 that has the correct amounts of zink that were
present in oil from back in the
day, when flat tappets rulled! I did some extensive research on the subject
comparing brands (along with
Rotella T which did not measure up) and found that Amsoil has the correct
ratio (and amount) of zink and phosphorus. These
trace metals form a boundry layer that keeps the cam lob and lifer appart.
Seems that they are removing these
lubricant additives to keep O2 and A/F sensors front being fouled with ash.
    During break-in use a non-detergent oil with an additive specificaly to
protect the cam for the first 50 miles of bed in. Summit sells
several diffrerent additives specifically for this purpose. After 50 miles,
dump the oil and fill will a high quality "non synthetic" for the
next 450 miles of break in...dump again and fill with oil of your choice.
    Bedding the cam is scarry because it goes against the need to keep the
RPM's low to prevent the rings from fluttering. Flat tappet
cams need to be immediately rev'd to around 2000 to sling oil from the crank
up into the valve train, otherwise the lifter will not retain
crucial lubrication during the first few minutes of operation.
    Seems that loosing two cams in a row is a little suspect and may be due to
the guy behind the dyno.

      Clear skys forever,

      Greg Christensen
      Tiger MK1a