[Tigers] non-Tiger: electric Miata

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] non-Tiger: electric Miata
From: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 07:12:41 -0500
Sorry to bomb the list, but several have asked for details on my electric
Miata conversion.  So for those not interested, please delete now.  Otherwise,
read on.

I obtained a 1990 Miata with a nice paint job but a broken crank for $1500.  I
didn't find a kit I liked, so I pieced together the parts from various
sources.  The motor is an Advanced DC FB1-4001 (9" diameter).  It is bolted to
the stock transmission with an adapter plate from CanEV.  I used a Curtis
control and all the standard parts required to wire an EV.

The batteries are 36 ThunderSky lithium ion cells, all wired in series for
~120V.  14 live in the trunk in a box below the floor where the muffler used
to live.  13 occupy the spot that previously housed the gas tank (this was the
hard part).  And 9 live up front where the radiators used to reside.  The
batteries only weight about 250 lbs, so the car is a little lighter than an IC
Miata.

Figuring out how to wire up the battery management system for the lithium
batteries was a little tricky.  I had to call on my EE cousin for help.
Otherwise the conversion was pretty straightforward.

The car has no heater, AC, or power steering (it doesn't need power steering).
I've ordered a vacuum pump to restore the power brakes, because you have to
stand on the pedal to stop it without the assist.

I haven't driven it much yet, as I need to get the tach working so I can drive
it efficiently.  You start in 2nd gear and it zips along quite nicely.  No
clutch required

I don't know what the range is yet.  With the limited driving I've done, I
estimate maybe 30 miles to a charge.

I've got about $15K in this project, less a $1500 tax credit.  My original
plan was for this to be a test mule for an electric Bug-eyed Sprite.  But it
has turned out so well, I plan to keep it for awhile.  Especially if I can get
the range up to about 40 miles.

Jim Pickard
B9473298 ('65 Tiger)
AN5L/12109 ('59 Sprite) - sold