Re: [Tigers] Factory 289 in Mk1...?

To: "Dennis Newman" <newman.d@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Factory 289 in Mk1...?
From: Allan Ballard <allanballard@att.net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 05:38:35 -0400
The engine certainly is scarce, especially if it hasn't been over bored too
much.

The engine is stronger than the 260. I found that parts are more available.

If it has been over bored too much, sleeving is a possibility.

Around here they show up from time to time. The lowest cost I've seen locally
is
250.00, condition unknown, ranging up to 850.00 for a claimed runner.

So far as I can determine, the Tiger II 289 engine uses 6 bolts and won't fit
to the
5 bolt bell housing.

Allan Ballard
Mk1a Tiger
SIV Alpine

On May 19, 2011, at 11:42 PM, Dennis Newman wrote:

> Hi from Colorado.  I ran across a 5 bolt 289 with the engine ID tag a guy
is
> trying to sell.   Is it worth while purchasing the engine.  I don't know
how
> rare this motor is, and could use some help on it. I was thinking of taking
> the original 260 out and replacing it with the 289.  Any thoughts.  The
> engine tag and number on the block is definitely 289.  The guy said it came
> in his 64 Galaxy.
>
> Also my subscription to the tiger emails strangely stopped a couple weeks
> ago and would like to get back on the mailing list, could also use some
help
> on this as well.
>
> Dennis 303 807-8061

HEH-E.