[Tigers] New motor/ flat tappet cam break with motor outside car

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] New motor/ flat tappet cam break with motor outside car
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:49:38 +0000 (UTC)
Hi, I am seeking the collective wisdom of all willing to share. I plan to
finish my 347 project this weekend and want to break in the cam and check for
leaks before installing the motor in the car.

Candidly,B a separate dyno motor breakin is not an option for me.

Motor will be on stand that bolts toB motor mount holes.B Below is my setup
plan on paper. Comments please on any mistakes you see, errors of omission,
words of cautionB or better ideas.

Connect separate mechanical oil pressure gauge to new motor with new line.

Run wire from new motor temp sender to old motor temp line.

Connect wires from new motor generator to corresponding wires that were
attached to old motor generator (now removed).

Run wires from new coil and distributor to corresponding wires where old coil
and distributor were connected (now removed).

Run heavy wire from solenoid in car to new motor starter (oldB starter
disconnected).

Run heavyB ground wire from new motor to old motor (probablyB old generator
bracket bolt hole on old motor).

Set up and connect radiator on home made holder with a box fan running in
front of it.

Connect flexible fuel line from front line filter outlet in car to new carb.

Will start car from existing dash mounted ignition switch and set carb
throttle for steady rpm break in when ready.

After set up, fillB pan with 30 weight oil with breakinB additive andB run oil
pump via primer rod through distributor hole to get oil into all passages. I
have read if youB spin the oil pump with an old distibutorB shaft, cam gear
removed, it will force oil up through the pushrod holes. Otherwise, that will
not happen during priming. True?

BTW, I have had the lifters and roller B rockers sitting inB oil with break in
oil additive included. I understand I need to be sure the lifters are well
drainedB before installing to avoid static hydraulicB lockupB upon
starting.True?B

ThanksB in advance to all for any advice.

Gene

tigers@autox.team.net