Re: [Tigers] OT: 5 Bolt Bellhousing for a C4 Automatic trans

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] OT: 5 Bolt Bellhousing for a C4 Automatic trans
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:57:46 -0800
Larry,

 Do you want the bellhousing just for testing, or do you eventually plan on
running a C-4 in the car? If just for testing then I would think any 5 bolt
bellhousing would work.

That is a rather rare bellhousing what with the phase out of the 260 and the
phase in of the C-4 occurring in roughly the same 1964 year. Hate to tell
you, but 35+ years ago I had a 260 - '64 Falcon with the 2 speed auto. A guy
I knew swapped out a 260 for a 289 in his early Mustang.  At the time the
bellhousing was irrelevant (to him) and I think he sold it to me for $5 - so
I could install a C-4.

I'll keep my eyes out on my monthly sojourns to Pick A Part.  However,
1960's cars represent far less that 1% of what is available anymore. Ford
seems to have a thing for crossover bellhousings.  In 1974 (only) they
offered a C-4 behind a 2.3 in the Pinto / Mustang II etc..  That rare
bellhousing is prized by the guys racing turbo 2.3's.  I found one on my
last trip to PAP and got it for $20.  It sold on Ebay for $180. But $500 for
a 5 bolt C-4 bellhousing... YIKES!

Tom Witt