Re: [Tigers] Question about rims

To: AAAGLASSS@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Question about rims
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:13:33 +0000 (UTC)
Hi, another relevant parameter is what size tire you will be using. A low
profile tire may work without clearance issues in turning, but you may not like
the ride quality.

If you have 0 offset and 3.5 inch back space, the rim width must be 7 inches. I
have been using 15 inch wheels with 7 inch wide rims for my "street tire class"
autocross tires. My back space is about 4.75 inches after adjusting with a 1/8
inch spacer. The tires are 205/50/15 Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. With the 4.75
inch back space, the tires just fit inside the fender line at the front.
However, I had to trim a little off the front edge of the wheel well opening at
the bottom part of the valence to get clearance when the wide tire is turned to
full lock. That is a pretty innocent modification that many people have done.
But it may well be something you would prefer not to do.

With a tire on a 7 inch rim and only 3.5 inch back space, your tires will
surely stick out 1.25 inches more than mine at the front. I am guessing that
you would have to remove more metal at the front of the wheel opening than I
did with the tire riding outboard that additional amount. As Mr. Witt has
suggested, making the mockup to model your particular application would be well
worth the effort.

Hope that helps,

Gene