Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 37

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 37
From: Owain Lloyd <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 18:32:13 -0500
55W is legal limit in most countries.  i don't know about the US.  there
should be no need for more on a road car.  if you need more, the wiring
should be checked and you should make sure the alternator / generator is up
to the load.

marc's comments as usual are random, unsubstantiated and nonsensical.  the
vast majority of bulbs you buy now are halogen.  Modern 55W H4 Xenon bulbs
can be purchased in a variety of colors from bluey white to old fashioned
looking yellow and are anything up to 200% brighter than halogens.
blue/white bulbs might illuminate well but they are worse than useless in
fog.   most dazzling of other drivers is due to the direction of the light
rather than the power.  i'm surprised that in all the states i have
experience of, nowhere actually checks headlight alignment at the annual
safety inspection.

now if you want true daylight, you should try the lights i used on my
recent rally through the length of africa.  i was testing them for the
manufacturer, Light Force in Australia.  50W HID spot lights with
selectable lenses for spot, driving beams and fog.  absolutely fantastic -
illuminate everything for miles, but they do fry everything in sight coming
the other way!