Re: [Tigers] Stock vs other classes

To: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, "rande@thecia.net" <rande@thecia.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stock vs other classes
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:48:19 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1334069299; bh=+SM3xTckDB2dc9Utq/gHxqDJ3JFa1r12GmeCMt6bleg=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=LDsmLe5WJLX7DczwiPwGnO/Gp+ASgOhK/l6cttYObOAZcZa3mLr59yj8hMyP1jzC3/8YXyCzVqQIgiepXtkBykmKp7vCv/Vxkdqp1NFv0bid7orimJrjmbT6g14YYblCOxtRd5luCEJAJBIXMmSHvRCLzgQo3rLWVaTM3BB5QgI= s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=5mUyvgWTZ5kRcZczp2g98l21zLwxVJhvCvytI2o4c2auMRbZMZa8OuoR/ya/C0JEZlhhrWRj7bCqhEMuN+IShfditCuVtuH6++E6l/4iD16DA+hDOO+4tgP5GdZO9GU1UlnCDowj5zRzhcYfpVEOQN4/irOGbto4iQijxjLOIuM=; Fdp2sY_ia3ru1QrEcWnw4blP7uTNY3zjgtd0AnVcYpnySwP_fIfK_kJ8AApc bF.ra_6za_3lsONOkJYMSMFVjL7fm3.eiHlHSm94WNlbMzx1KamgZDEjNlJP AkaFJ7N1I8M.KCZhI.s9.iCWUDN3bq7Rh_6eWqc8KcHSusDAD2fTYaJEUccY exDUUVVUxxMpGi8VsvbmGlIq1JImCqCqQSkdPOiLIhkM_I4VjvRVFuI0zP0E JJVlQTNjXYa.lLTkZzL561qw8mplxgsuMX24fSEnpW3EM5dWqZ4wANI8.nk_ E6HSKcILLykk1Dao3V6keGQ1vc02bejIgABA08MS.OGe3J72y12vHWEpGvQE 7T9ikt0NQTUEt5uG8SV66kojjYMuI6xvxAjD_3XSi63gIyF4JUJfBhEe6Bvk HHA1_LhMCAjfWSq24tFf5bpA5GKN54b.uLMv4UkFXyjd_G576chDTWBwYOBu .MGtH__hE3UXXMvq5ldamAG5KdqOhv8hT0kCIXYv4iADwAxgl2dZ3z2EM_B2 UZl.gmLjtaQp5UOarQS7YXGuJDEbAYgFGjvML5o3XBFMErO0jEnVpJtVy67h YenTS
The fact that our club shows actually have judging classes for personalized
and modified is in itself evidence that the Tiger community is very accepting
of modifications. Most other marques I've been associated with are not
anywhere near so accommodating/inclusive of non-stock cars (go to a Vette show
sometime). Also, I'm pretty sure if you look at the number of Tiger
participants in each category, you'll find the mix has historically been very
heavy on personalized and modified cars, especially compared again with other
marque events, though my sense it that trend is shifting to more stock as
folks enter the ranks of Tiger owner having come from those other groups.

This will  surely change as Tigers become more recognized in the blue chip
collecting circles, but in most "non-Sunbeam" national shows, most judges
still won't know enough about Sunbeams to catch many details, it's more about
the quality of the workmanship. Heck, my very resto-modded Dale A Tiger won
it's class (Misc British Sportscar) in Houston's 2003 Keels & Wheels Concours
d'Elegnce, even with a 5 point roll bar, full harnesses and 16" Panasport
wheels. I have to credit Dale's workmanship for that, certainly not
originality of the car.

Best regards,
Stephen Waybright
585-905-5842 (m)
281-259-3899 (h)
www.linkedin.com/in/gswaybright
________________________________
 From: "Smit, Theo"
<Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>

The Tigers United and SUNI 'personalized' class
rules will capture pretty much
any Tiger that has performance changes from
stock other than exact LAT or
LAT-alike items, so long as you stick with
stock-ish suspension, 15" wheels or
less, and a 289. I'd be inclined to throw
302's in there as well, just because
it's getting tougher to build a 289
unless you have the rotating assembly; but
any stroker engine should be in
Modified.

Having just three classes for such a competition might put some
people at a
disadvantage, because they have one or two items on their car that
pushes the
car up a class; but on the other hand, the mindsets associated with
'stock',
'personalized', and 'modified' are easy to grasp and the Sunbeam
marque events
are not primarily about the speed/performance competitions
anyway...

Cheers,
Theo

> Hi,
>
> I think when I entered(or began) the
fray into what is considered
> stock, as
> opposed to the personalized or
modified classes, I was thinking about
> the classifications
> for concours
events at Tiger Uniteds and SUNIs, where the car is judged
> not
> on whether
it can be returned to stock, but is it presented in stock
> condition
> at
that time.

> If as a judge I knew your car, and you were one of my Tiger
friends(as
> Theo
> is), at the least I might ask if you wanted to enter
another class in
> order
> to be competitive, because as presented, you may
not fare well against
> the cars
> that are 'dead stock', and I don't remember
if there might even be a
> compulsory
>
> aspect to this in some clubs.

Another issue is that when determining whether a car stays in stock or
> must
> move to the next class, personalized, the rules of the club might

stipulate
> how many changes to original equipment you can have and still
remain in
> stock.
> The gentleman with just the addition of fog/driving
lights could stay
> in stock,
> while, for example, Theo's car might have too
many changes to remain
> there.
>

> Just as an aside, I looked at the Rootes
accessory catalogues for the
> Series
> IV and Series V Alpines, which show
fog and driving lights available,
> and the
> photos make it seem like they
could mount to the top of the lower
> valance behind
> the bumper.
>
> Rande
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your
cooperation.