[Tigers] SU Fuel Pump Electronics HELP

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] SU Fuel Pump Electronics HELP
From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 07:30:10 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=from:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:subject:date:message-id :to:mime-version:x-mailer; bh=Bt6Go7mN8b0XCSkUSv88exvYblwq7rBR2Rx8o9wpcTg=; b=owXm51S0HCi7CqAtfacHCXLsZKQvlM2etX0vxzf1k+FFLeOrVjAi9P3XmhU2ybw+MG W2uYB1N1NQd8SuMAyzRzwbWoPTZrCRb6H47ZvdJVSj25o2mvsWY6FGG8+nubTYh6UX7d 2K7v/5gIslGpVGK6HWr96j2aKdVOCTjM3QeJ4DkbT7ve2QkWt60mJA6Y9fSAEE9qNH9s exLB7zTdFzKaU+WzlnsbU7bnTw2so4/80Y+nW8C3EkEC4xpJhi+SXfYr8TCVQk46I2Wk 00UG36tJBdt4S9Fr7oJWT+AfgTtOCyOTKBH6cIheAHmuwqGT2kdAMqvozHkxPRD1asIg 3jAg==
When I took apart my SU fuel pump, there was a large orange cylindrical
electronic piece that was parallel to the points (obviously my dad would know
instantly if this is a resistor or a condenser).  So, one end was attached to
the points ground the other end was attached to the points power.

The rebuild kit came with a replacement that was not a large cylindrical piece
but a small flat round piece.  Still with two wires.

The exploded picture of the fuel pump from the parts list shows a single wire
condenser.

The instructions with the SU rebuild kit says:

"Where a diode resistor is fitted it is in parallel with the coil connections.
This component is polarity conscious and therefore all connections must be
correctly made.  A condenser, where fitted, is not polarity conscious."

Here are my questions:
(1)  I am assuming that both of these are diode resistors.  Is that correct?
(2)  The instructions say across the coil.  But the way it was assembled was
across the points.  Which one should it be?
(3)  How can I determine the polarity of the flat diode I have?  I will say
that the soldered on ends have different sized holes and the mounting posts
are different sizes.  So, it really only can go one way.  So, if it is
supposed to go across the points, it will go one way, if it is supposed to go
across the coil, it will mount another way.  Also, not only do the soldered on
ends have different sized holes, they are bent up so actually they only really
want to go across the coil, like the instructions say.  But, I'm concerned
because the way it was assembled was across the points.

THANKS!!!
Jay