Re: [Tigers] Orginal 4 speed gear lube

To: acchd73@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Orginal 4 speed gear lube
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:32:46 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Beamclub <tigers@autox.team.net>
Tony, the short version of my earlier posts is to generally stay away from GL-5
oils. The vast majority seem to use a brass syncro attacking sulfur additive to
achieve their GL-5 rating. GL-4 oils are much more syncro friendly.

I recommended Red Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4 gear oil. I subsequently learned Red
Line makes what they claim is a syncro friendly GL-5 oil. It is called 75W90 NS
GL-5 which is specifically recommended for Ford Toploaders and other muscle car
trans. (I wonder if the "NS" in the name means "no sulfur"...) Check out the
Red Line website for more details.

Gene