Re: [Tigers] Exhaust Manifold Issues

To: Carlo Bernardino <crbdino@me.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Exhaust Manifold Issues
From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 13:40:20 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Sender: tigers-bounces@autox.team.net
Rob,
Replacing the gaskets is easy....getting to them is a little tough. Since I
have size 12 hands, I remove the generator on the passenger side to gain
access. The driver's side is a little tight against the steering column, but
the stock manifold should clear, barely. You will need to detach the exhaust
pipes from the headers first, so plan on replacing the round donut gaskets as
well.

If you are using stock manifolds I suggest the Fel-Pro
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-MS90000/?rtype=10  gaskets, they are
designed to be installed easily and hold up well. If you are using headers
and/or have aluminum heads then the Percy's Seal-4-Good
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-66014/  work very well and are
reusable.

You'll notice the outer bolt holes on the gaskets are slotted, this allows you
to slide the gasket in between the manifold and head using only the two
outermost bolts to retain the manifold. Use longer bolts temporarily if you
cannot get the manifold far enough away from the head. Buy some good grade 8
bolts from ARP or similar, start with the middle two bolts first and torque
them to 10 Lb-Ft, then work outward with the rest. Go back and re-torque them
in the same sequence to 16-17 Lb-Ft and the headers should be good to go.

If you have tubular headers and cannot get enough clearance to separate them
from the head, you will need to put a jack under the oil pan, disconnect the
motor mounts and carefully raise the engine. Watch for fan shroud and rocker
cover clearances!

Too bad you didn't study OB-GYN, you could have done it all through the
tailpipe!

Have fun,

Bugz