[Tigers] Removing frozen pistons

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Removing frozen pistons
From: <johnp@ciseast.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:09:04 -0500
I am disassembling a 289 but have two pistons that I can't get to slide out.
I thought my fellow Tiger experts might give a few suggestions on the best
way to "nudge" them loose.

Here's what I've done so far.  I had a few others that didn't want to move
so I sprayed PB Blaster on top of all piston edges and let sit.  Then the
next day I flipped the engine over and sprayed PB Blaster between all
cylinder walls and piston skirts and let sit for a day.  On third day, with
connecting rod caps off, I used a heavy screwdriver and hammer to tap the
connecting rod at the cap mating surface to ease the piston out.  I took
great care to protect the crank surfaces from damage.  This worked well but
when slipping the caps back onto connecting rods after removal, I found that
one cap wouldn't slip back onto the connecting rod.  Hopefully just a bent
bolt but I want to make sure that the rods don't get messed up.  I'm still
working on the front balancer bolt with PB Blaster and my impact wrench for
removal.  Any suggestions for the two pistons still not moving?