[Tigers] off Topic - Batmobile/Futura

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] off Topic - Batmobile/Futura
From: "rande" <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:26:21 -0500
I think it was TTAC (The Truth About Cars) site that did a recent discussion
of the Batmobile, part of it being someone was offering to make copies of it
for sale, and part of the response back from posters was a slam on George Barris
for his conversion of a FoMoCo prototype Lincoln Futura into Batman&Robin's
ride.

I should ask John how many versions Ford built of the Futura, as the most
popular
photo is of the white car from around 1955-6, but in the Glenn Ford / Debbie
Reynolds 1959 film 'It Started with a Kiss', one of the stars of that film was
a red version of the Futura. Was there at least two cars, or just another paint
job for the only one?

At the time, and a little later, American manufacturers were prone to destroying
show cars when they were done with them, because even driveable cars weren't
deemed safe enough to sell to the public, so I was fine with Ford turning a
Futura over to Barris. Nowadays, folks like Chicago's Joe Bortz go out of their
way to find and restore old prototypes, while reassuring car makers that they
won't drive their prototypes to the supermarket.