[Tigers] UNF screws on Sunbeam

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] UNF screws on Sunbeam
From: Rollright@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:28:36 -0400 (EDT)
Full-name: Rollright
Hello,

The state of Massachusetts is forcing everyone off single licence plates
onto twins. Arrgh

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but in restoring the front  stock
licence plate bracket, I found (and looked up in the parts  manual),   (4) #8
UNF
5/8' machine screws, countersunk.

I went to the hardware store and found the #8s they had 'jammed' on the
nuts that came on the bracket.
So I looked in the parts manual again and found "#8 UNF 5/8".

At home, I had my trusty Eastwood screw-checker and both originals and  new
were #8. New were 32 thread but the ones old wouldn't fit the 32, 36  or 40
thread check spots though the 40 seemed most happy.

What the heck is going on?  And no, they certainly aren't 2BA  screws.

BTW; the Rootes part number is 39112101. "Body mountings" section; late
version of the licence plate bracket.

In closing, again, pardon my ignorance but I thought I know something
about small hardware. Apparently not.

Help.

Jim  Armstrong
Mk 1A