Re: [Tigers] Ox sensor

To: "jay laifman" <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ox sensor
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 17:00:26 -0300
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
Jay:

That sounds like a narrow-band A/F Meter. These were the first on the market
as useful mass-produced mixture reading tools, but they were only accurate
in a very narrow band either side of the 14.6 air/fuel ratio. They are not
very useful beyond indicating this ratio under different throttle/load
parameters, and 14.6 is not the correct mixture very often.

Under load and big throttle openings you want rich to very rich mixtures
(around 12/1) for max power and at light throttle openings you want ratios
in the lean end (around 17 or 18/1) for good fuel economy. With your meter
you can never be sure exactly what your air/fuel mixture ratio is, other
than 14.6 which is chemically the perfect ratio for clean burning, but not
for all throttle openings and load situations. BUT, getting your mixture to
14.6 at 650 rpm should give you a klller idle, and that's a good thing.

I supercharged an MGB about 10 years ago and wide band meters and sensors
were in the stratosphere price wise, so I bought one of these narrow band
meters. It was marginally useful, but kept me from melting pistons which I
did regularly before I got the meter.

Wide band meters are infinitely more useful and accurate over the whole
throttle/load range, and are now less expensive than what I (and likely your
Dad) paid for our narrow band meters back in the day. Theyalso have USB
ports to feed your computer, which opens up a whole new world of mixture
control to we anals, which allows seriously accurate carb and ignition
tuning, and you can print out the results to impress fellow obsessive
compulsives....

Dave

 Sent: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:31:41 -0000 (UTC)
 Subject: Re: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls

 The ox sensor.  I haven't paid too much attention to that other than to
note
 it is frequently in the red. It has a row of lights going from green to
yellow
 to red. Can someone tell me under what driving conditions should it be in
the
 color bands?  Like idle, cruising, slowly accelerating and on it?  And is
it
 likely to be accurate or could it be wrong because of a gazillion things?