[Tigers] Ford\Tiger Starters – Lesson Learned

To: Tiger List Serve <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Ford\Tiger Starters – Lesson Learned
From: Joel Martin <jmartiniii@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:38:13 -0700 (PDT)
Ford made 2 starters for the 260\289, an automatic version and a
manual version.
The Ford starter for the Tiger flywheel uses the automatic
version.B  Other 260/289 flywheels used the manual version.B  See the attached
link for the differences.B  I had another link to the Ford starter pictures
but cannot seem to find it.
http://www.bcbroncos.com/ford%20starters.pdf
You can use our original Ford starter with SS headers but removal would
require removing the passenger side header. Not an option in my book.
World
Power Starter (WPS) makes a nice Hi-Torque starter that is smaller than
original that does not require removing the one header to get it out and is
priced around $70.B
Part number 3241N fits thenon Tiger flywheel used on
Mustangs etc with manual transmissions if you swapped in a 289 non Tiger\Ford
motor with the corresponding flywheel.
Part number 3268N fits the stock
Tiger flywheel used on Tigers 260\289 with manual transmissions. This is
considered the bautomaticb starter that was used on Tigers due to the
flywheel. B This starter can also be used on the Tigerbs with a swapped in
289 and flywheel from a Mustang or similar but requires a B<b to 3/8b
spacer between the starter and the bell housing due to the longer snout.
am sure there are other specifications to take into account but this fits my
understanding and thought I would pass it along.
Regards
Joel Martin