Re: [Tigers] Fake Tiger or VIN

To: David or Gary Franchi <wwwdg@webtv.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fake Tiger or VIN
From: "A. C." <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:52:12 -0500
Folks,

I wrote the poster through EBAY, pointing out the problems with the ID
elements. He replied saying they were lost when the car was being
restored, but did not explain why the VIN lacked the final "E" or why it
was used as the JAL. I assumed from that that there was little paperwork.

I understand that ID plates can be lost/destroyed in many ways. However,
I don't think a TAC certificate is a suitable, complete substitute. A
TAC certificate only certifies that the vehicle is a Tiger, but not
which Tiger it is.

There must be additional documentation showing which Tiger was TACed.  I
am not casting aspersions on the honesty or pedigree on any person or
Tiger, but we are all aware that some Tigers have been stolen and not
recovered over the years.

As we see by another post, giving specific instructions that the ID
elements were not to be removed, even in writing, is not always enough
when having a car restored. Personally, I would have the shop owner
acknowledge the instructions in writing, perhaps with an agreed penalty.
I would also take a picture of the VIN and JAL tags on the car,
preferably including that day's newspaper front page, the written
acknowledgement  from the shop owner and something to prove I was the
one taking the picture. Perhaps a mirror showing my reflection or the
title showing my name?

Just my thoughts, worth at least the price paid. And, again, I mean no
insult to any owner or Tiger.

A. C. Tynes
New Orleans