Re: [Tigers] Aluminum radiators

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Aluminum radiators
From: "Mark Rense" <mark44124@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:46:48 -0500
Hi Andy,
I had a Griffin in one of my cars for many years using the stock mounts and
stock shroud without issue. The aluminum core is about a 1/2" thicker than
stock but slightly thinner than a modern 3-row core which is what is in the
car now. In any case I had no issues with water pump shaft clearance on my
car.

I had to replace the Griffin when coming back from the Pittsburgh Gran Prix
on I-80 a couple years ago the harmonic balancer came apart, embedding
pieces into the core. I considered myself lucky that the radiator and timing
cover were the only casualties. The balancer was new when the 289 was
rebuilt in 2004, I have since upgraded to SFI-Approved balancers on all my
street cars.

Bugz