Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 6, Issue 234

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 6, Issue 234
From: "Darrell Mountjoy" <dsmtjoy@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:35:31 -0700
Brian,

Before '56 the CA plates were black with a white alpha-numeric sequence.
The plates were not as high but were elongated from what we know today.  I
don't recall how many characters there were but I think there were seven,
like "A123456"

In 1956 CA went to the standard sized license plate we know today.  It was
yellow with a black alpha-numeric sequence of six characters, "AAA 123".

In 1963 CA changed to a black plate with a yellow alpha-numeric sequence,
"AAA 123", retaining six characters.  I don't believe the letters were area
specific.  At the time our family in SoCal got their plates through Auto
Club and the plates were a "JEX" prefix.  An aunt got her plates in L.A. and
they had a "JER" prefix.  I'm sure other areas of the state had earlier as
well as later prefixes.

Somewhere around 1970 CA changed from a black plate to a blue plate with a
yellow numeric-alpha sequence, "123 AAA".  Note CA changed the letter and
number positions.  I had a 1969 car with an "XTH" prefix.  Later I had a
1971 vehicle whose plate had an "ESA" suffix.  In '73 I had another car with
a "JEP" suffix.

Sometime in the late '70s or early '80s CA ran out of their numeric-alpha
sequence so it went to a seven character license plate, still blue with
yellow characters.  To accommodate seven characters on the standard sized
plate the size of the characters was reduced.

I think it was at the time of the '84 Olympics in L.A. CA came out with a
white Olympic plate.  That opened the gate to all the vanity and special
interest plates one sees today.

Yep, I'm old...
Darrell