Re: [Tigers] Tigers' various lock cylinders

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers' various lock cylinders
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:56:09 -0700
Many of the car locks are wafer locks. Basically thin, flat pieces of brass
that slide in channels. In the locked position they extend outward of the
internal cylinder into a groove in the outer cylinder. Thus the lock doesn't
turn. When the key is inserted it matches the internal slot on each wafer.
This aligns all the wafers to match the internal cylinder and the lock
rotates. This might help better understand.
http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?t=10541 Your options are:
1. Pay a lock smith to rectify the problem.
2. Attempt dealing with it yourself. Sometimes you can juggle the wafers
around and have them line up.
3. You can do the quick and dirty trick I use. I remove the inner cylinder.
Inset the key of choice. Whatever wafer protrude up I file off.  This
reduces the lock strength because whatever gets filed off is that much less
to hold in the outer cylinder channel when the key is removed. But, hey it's
free and frankly most car locks only keep honest people honest. They don't
deter the determined thief.