Re: [Tigers] The Tiger Lives!!!

To: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] The Tiger Lives!!!
From: Stu via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 20:37:36 -0400
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net

--047d7bdc865c1cfed1051c717e47

Good suggestion.  Be sure to read the section on the panel voltage
regulator.  If it's ground connection (its mounting foot) isn't making a
good connection to ground, both the temp and fuel gages will read high.  If
it's the stock panel regulator, look for it to be switching multiple times
per second.

Stu
Visiting the left coast

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Tod Brown via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> Andy:
>
> Congratulations! Any time another Tiger is added to the list of the
> living it is a major accomplishment.
>
> On the subject of gauge calibration, etc, I would suggest you read Stu
> Brennan's article on Tigers United.
> <http://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp>
> http://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp if you
> haven't already.
>
> Based on the article, it is clear that when the temperature gauge is
> reading too high, as in your case,
> it can be corrected in a fairly straightforward way without the expense
> of getting it recalibrated.
> From Stu's article, it can be seen that a high reading is caused by a low
> resistance of the gauge. What
> I did to correct the situation was to first obtain a variable resistor (a
> pot, or potentiometer) and place
> it in series with the gauge. You will see, then, as you increase the
> resistance of the pot, the gauge reading
> will fall. By taking the actual temperature with your ir thermometer, you
> can adjust the pot so that the
> reading of the gauge agrees with your thermometer. You can then use a
> multimeter to read the actual
> resistance of the pot and replace the pot with a fixed resistor of about
> the matching value. I did this
> several years ago and it has proven to be a permanent fix since I have
> occasionally checked the calibration
> with my ir thermometer.
>
> As far as the problem with the tach, my suggestion is that you send the
> tach to Tom Hall and have him
> do the solid state conversion. It's the best solution IMHO and it's
> essentially permanent.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tod Brown
> B382002384LRXFE
> TAC 864

--047d7bdc865c1cfed1051c717e47

d suggestion.=C2=A0 Be sure to read the section on the panel voltage regula=
tor.=C2=A0 If it&#39;s ground connection (its mounting foot) isn&#39;t maki=
ng a good connection to ground, both the temp and fuel gages will read high=
.=C2=A0 If it&#39;s the stock panel regulator, look for it to be switching =
multiple times per second.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-=
size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small=
">Stu</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Visiting =
l_quote">On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Tod Brown via Tigers <span dir=3D"=
ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">tigers@=
tyle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20

   =20
 =20
nt face=3D"Arial">e another Tiger is added to the<font face=3D"Arial"> list=
 of the living it is a<font face=3D"Arial">
                major accomplishment.<br>
">auge
                    calibration, etc, I would suggest you read Stu<font fac=
e=3D"Arial"> Bren<font face=3D"Arial">nan&#39;s article
                        on Tigers United.<br>
Gauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp" target=3D"_blank"></a><a href=3D"http://tigersu=
nited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp</a><font fa=
ce=3D"Arial"> if you haven&#39;t already.<br>
                            clear that when t<font face=3D"Arial">he <font =
face=3D"Arial">temp<font face=3D"Arial">eratu<font face=3D"Arial">re gauge =
is reading too
                                    high, as in your ca<font face=3D"Arial"=
>se,<br>
                                        corrected in a fairly
                                        straightforward way without <font f=
ace=3D"Arial">t<font face=3D"Arial">he expense of <font face=3D"Arial">gett=
ing it
                                              recalibr<font face=3D"Arial">=
ated<font face=3D"Arial">.<br>
                                                    Stu&#39;s article, it