Re: [Tigers] This isn't fun anymore...

To: Stu <sabre2tgr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] This isn't fun anymore...
From: michael king via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 11:46:57 +1000
Cc: Tiger Net <Tigers@autox.team.net>

--047d7b15a159e56693051e919b5a

Stu,

Iirc the stock autolite carb has a reputation for lighting up just as you
described.. Maybe stuck power valve? It's normally a fire hazard on a
restart..  The only known solution to ensure it never happens is a carb
swap... That said hopefully a carb rebuild and regular checking can prevent
it occurring again.

Also... Valuable reminder to everyone... CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!!
Also be very careful opening a bonnet if you suspect fire..  You feed the
flames and it gets bigger faster... If you can spray extinguisher from
under the car or via a gap its safer.. But not always practical.. So if you
have to open the bonnet have your extinguisher of choice ready to go.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck..  But at least it's minor damage.
On 31 Aug 2015 11:38, "Stu via Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I took the Tiger out today for a little cruise with my son driving (don=
=E2=80=99t
> panic, Hagerty, he=E2=80=99s over 25).  When we got home I noticed that t=
he trunk
> was a little out of alignment.  The nut on the fixed part of the right si=
de
> hinge was loose.  No problem, tighten it up.  Only it wouldn=E2=80=99t ti=
ghten.  It
> feels like the stud is pulling out of the hinge body.  OK, I may have a
> spare hinge, if not, I can probably turn one up.
>

> No big deal, right?  But wait, the fun was just starting.
>

>  I was going to drive it back into the garage.  The key was on a few
> seconds while I readjusted the seat from my son=E2=80=99s position.  Then=
 it took
> longer than normal to start, then smoke came out from under the hood.  Ke=
> off.  There=E2=80=99s a lot of heat coming out=E2=80=A6  I pulled the hoo=
d release and
> could see flames=E2=80=A6   Opening the hood, flames were coming up from =
the front
> of the carb area.  The garden hose was right there, so I gave it a squirt=
,
> cooling everything off, and the flames went out.
>

>  The front of the air cleaner is sort or singed, the element needs an
> inspection, the bottom of the hood is black and bubbled right over there,
> and there is one huge bubble on the outside of the hood.  Wiring looks OK=
,
> if a bit singed, and the plastic section that joins the choke heater down
> pipe to the air cleaner is melted.
>

> After things cooled off, we powered it up again, with the air cleaner
> off.  The pump was on, but everything was perfect, no fuel coming out
> anywhere.   It started and ran fine.
>

> So I=E2=80=99m guessing that something is going on in the float bowl, the=
 valve
> occasionally sticking open or something.  There had been a couple instanc=
es
> of brief loss of power, and rough running this summer, so I suspect this =
is
> related.
>

> I cleaned and replaced a lot of stuff in the carb maybe a decade back.
> Anybody have any part numbers for rebuild kits that are available today?
> What Ford should I tell them I have to get the kit for a stock 260 Tiger
> carb?
>

> The fun is going out of this real quick.  Now I=E2=80=99m faced with matc=
hing the
> paint on the hood ( Imron from 1977), or a whole strip and repaint to get
> things to match, since there are too many layers of paint on it now.
>

> How was your day?
>

> Stu

--047d7b15a159e56693051e919b5a

p just as you described.. Maybe stuck power valve? It&#39;s normally a fire=
 hazard on a restart..=C2=A0 The only known solution to ensure it never hap=
pens is a carb swap... That said hopefully a carb rebuild and regular check=
ing can prevent it occurring again.</p>
UISHER!!!!=C2=A0 Also be very careful opening a bonnet if you suspect fire.=
.=C2=A0 You feed the flames and it gets bigger faster... If you can spray e=
xtinguisher from under the car or via a gap its safer.. But not always prac=
tical.. So if you have to open the bonnet have your extinguisher of choice =
ready to go.</p>
9;s minor damage.</p>
 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt;=
 wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"=
margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"=
ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><p class=3D"Mso=
Normal">I took the Tiger out today for a little cruise with my son
driving (don=E2=80=99t panic, Hagerty, he=E2=80=99s over 25).=C2=A0 When we=
 got home I noticed that the trunk was
a little out of alignment.=C2=A0 The nut on the fixed
part of the right side hinge was loose.=C2=A0
No problem, tighten it up.=C2=A0 Only
it wouldn=E2=80=99t tighten.=C2=A0 It feels like the
stud is pulling out of the hinge body.=C2=A0 OK, I may have a spare hinge, =
if not, I can probably

it back into the garage.=C2=A0 The key was on
a few seconds while I readjusted the seat from my son=E2=80=99s position.=
=C2=A0 Then it=C2=A0took longer than normal to start, then
smoke came out from under the hood.=C2=A0 Key
off.=C2=A0 There=E2=80=99s a lot of heat coming out=E2=80=A6=C2=A0 I pulled=
 the hood release and could see
flames=E2=80=A6=C2=A0=C2=A0 Opening the hood, flames were
coming up from the front of the carb area.=C2=A0
The garden hose was right there, so I gave it a squirt, cooling everything

cleaner is sort or singed, the element needs an inspection, the bottom of t=
he
hood is black and bubbled right over there, and there is one huge bubble on=
 the
outside of the hood.=C2=A0 Wiring looks OK, if
a bit singed, and the plastic section that joins the choke heater down pipe=

h the
air cleaner off.=C2=A0 The pump was on, but
everything was perfect, no fuel coming out anywhere.=C2=A0=C2=A0 It started=

n the float bowl,
the valve occasionally sticking open or something.=C2=A0 There had been a c=
ouple instances of brief loss
of power, and rough running this summer, so I suspect this is related.</p>

d a lot of stuff in the carb maybe a
decade back.=C2=A0 Anybody have any part
numbers for rebuild kits that are available today?=C2=A0 What Ford should I=
 tell them I have to get

=E2=80=99m faced with matching the paint on the
hood ( Imron from 1977), or a whole strip and repaint to get things to matc=
h,
since there are too many layers of paint on it now.</p><p class=3D"MsoNorma=
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>