Re: [Tigers] Carb Fire Research

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb Fire Research
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:48:50 -0700

--===============3427403115445089652==
 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_014F_01D0EFAC.7D08DA90"

------=_NextPart_000_014F_01D0EFAC.7D08DA90
        charset="UTF-8"

I finally got around to watching this video. It was like watching paint =
dry. It could have been 30 seconds long, not 20 minutes. But anyway =
(it=E2=80=99s not Stu=E2=80=99s fault), it did eventually shows the gas =
boil at a low temperature.  I=E2=80=99ll just throw these things out =
there:

1. No one ever mentions it, but there has to be some cooling effect of =
both from the air being drawn into the carburetor and the evaporation =
effect of the gas (like when you apply rubbing alcohol to your body).  =
Then again, without cold air ducting..., maybe not.

2. A cooling effect likely offsets some of the heat soak while the car =
is in use. However, when the engine is stopped that cooling also ceases.

3. It would seem best to isolate and insulate the carburetor from the =
rest of the engine compartment.  This, however would require some type =
of hood scoop (or duct) and and an isolation enclosure under an already =
crowded hood.

4. I=E2=80=99m wondering if the horn opening block off plates some use =
(that work at idle/stopped) to prevent recirculation are a detriment at =
higher speeds not allowing cooler air to pass through the engine =
compartment?  I=E2=80=99ve always through a spring loaded door seemed a =
better concept. Closed at an idle/stopped condition, but opened from the =
flow of air as the car moved forward.

5. If anyone is interested, some of the 280Z=E2=80=99s had a fan and =
ducting that blew air onto the injector rail. The concept would seem =
somewhat adaptable to blowing cool air on the carburetor after the car =
shut off. A 555 Timer could control the run time after shut-off.

It seems any attempt for correction deviates from a stock appearance. =
And, a crowded area under the hood doesn=E2=80=99t leave many options =
for isolation or ducting. Has anyone run without their hood to see it it =
makes a difference?

Just some rambling thoughts.