Re: [Tigers] Tiger road wheels

To: snakebit289 <snakebit289@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger road wheels
From: Stu via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 14:51:35 -0400
Cc: Ron Fraser via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>

--f46d04428ab84a497205210f898c

A bunch of years back I read in the newsletter from the British club, that
one of their members was vintage racing a Tiger.  The class demanded stock
EVERYTHING, including wheels.  He uncovered an old memo, service bulletin
or something like that, wherein Rootes recommended against using stock
Tiger wheels for ANY form of motorsports.  The result was that an exemption
was granted.   Somewhere, maybe the same article, I saw photos of fractured
metal around the bolt holes.  I'm not sure if this was the original wheel,
the upgraded wheel, or both.

Stu

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:32 PM, snakebit289 via Tigers <
tigers@autox.team.net> wrote:

> To build on what was just posted to this group, there was a problem with
> metal around the lug stud holes, and a new wheel with reinforced holes was
> substituted for the Tiger, dated Jan 1965(according to a parts catalogue
> change) and the very same wheel  replaced all Series 3, Series IV, and
> Series V Alpines when the Alpine portion of the catalogue(3rd revision) was
> published circa Feb 1965. According to the parts catalogue, it also
> replaces wheels on Alpine Series II after car serial # B9107290.
>
> The updated road wheel is part number 1214930. Two of the wheels that came
> with my Tiger are stamped with the updated number. Using the valve stem
> hole as the 12 OClock position, this stamping is at the 6 OClock postion
> and an additional number (65 on one wheel of my car and 66 on the other) is
> at the 9 OClock position. If your road wheels were in the same condition as
> mine, you may have to take a wire brush to the wheels to remove layers of
> paint to see the number.
>
> Rande Bellman
> Tiger IA #48

--f46d04428ab84a497205210f898c

unch of years back I read in the newsletter from the British club, that one=
 of their members was vintage racing a Tiger.=C2=A0 The class demanded stoc=
k EVERYTHING, including wheels.=C2=A0 He uncovered an old memo, service bul=
letin or something like that, wherein Rootes recommended against using stoc=
k Tiger wheels for ANY form of motorsports.=C2=A0 The result was that an ex=
emption was granted. =C2=A0 Somewhere, maybe the same article, I saw photos=
 of fractured metal around the bolt holes.=C2=A0 I&#39;m not sure if this w=
as the original wheel, the upgraded wheel, or both.</div><div class=3D"gmai=
l_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default"=
iv class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:32 PM, snakebit289 via Ti=
gers <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; target=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pad=
ding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"color:#000;background-color:#fff;font-fam=
ily:bookman old style,new york,times,serif;font-size:16px"><div dir=3D"ltr"=
>To build on what was just posted to this group, there was a problem with m=
etal around the lug stud holes, and a new wheel with reinforced holes was s=
ubstituted for the Tiger, dated Jan 1965(according to a parts catalogue cha=
nge) and the very same wheel=C2=A0 replaced all Series 3, Series IV, and Se=
ries V Alpines when the Alpine portion of the catalogue(3rd revision) was p=
ublished circa Feb 1965. According to the parts catalogue, it also replaces=
 wheels on Alpine Series II after car serial # B9107290.</div><div dir=3D"l=
0. Two of the wheels that came with my Tiger are stamped with the updated n=
umber. Using the valve stem hole as the 12 OClock position, this stamping i=
s at the 6 OClock postion and an additional number (65 on one wheel of my c=
ar and 66 on the other) is at the 9 OClock position. If your road wheels we=
re in the same condition as mine, you may have to take a wire brush to the =
wheels to remove layers of paint to see the number.</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><=

Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>